Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Planning resources, part of Strategic Planning Fundamentals.
- Once you have your prioritization list…and you've identified which initiatives…you're going to pursue…and the sequence you're going to pursue them in,…it's time to allocate resources.…I see organizations get this wrong all the time…because what they do is they say,…I've got these people filling these roles on the team,…and this team is best set up…to pursue this set of initiatives.…They let the resources drive the initiatives they pursue.…What happens when you do that…is you end up with a strategy by default.…
You are constrained by the resources…you currently have on your team…and you're never going to break out and do new things…because the team is only capable of so much.…The right way to allocate resources is to say…here's my strategy, here's the vision,…the mission, my goals, and my guiding principles…for what I'm trying to achieve.…Here are the strategic filters that I'm going to use…to identify my highest priority initiatives.…Once I have that prioritization list…of what I'm going to pursue,…then the question becomes one of…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Avoiding strategic planning risks
- Assessing the market
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Defining your direction, mission, and vision
- Determining core competencies
- Evaluating and prioritizing opportunities
- Assessing your initiatives
- Organizing for success
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.