In this video, learn how to identify the bottleneck. Bottlenecks are also known as critical resources which are not available in abundance, are usually coming from human resource planning, and lead to a schedule for scarce resources.
- We need to know which of the resources is the bottleneck.…Which resource is going to limit the speed of your project?…We've already seen that you might choose your own department…as the resource to focus on,…just to check that you can keep to your part of the plan.…Or you might know that, say,…a laboratory is the scarcest resource…that all of the projects need to be planned around.…In fact, you probably already know…what the bottleneck resource is for your area of work,…because that's where all the hassle always is.…
That's where the overtime it worked,…where the lateness happens,…where the pressure is always being applied.…But what if you aren't sure what the bottleneck resource is?…How can you know that you've correctly identified it?…The first way is to add up all of the resources needed…for all of the projects.…You would use a spreadsheet for this,…with the projects all listed down the side…and the resource groups listed across the top,…IT, HR, sales, the technical areas,…whatever types of people you need,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is program management?
- Planning from the bottom up vs. top down
- Resource planning
- Managing projects, resources, and time
- Getting the staff you need
- Self-organizing teams