Have you ever been on a phone interview and dropped the call? Learn how to shine in a phone or video interview so you can get that in-person meeting.
- There's a good chance at least half of the interviews…you have will be on the phone or video,…or a combination of the two.…This is usually before you go in person,…but sometimes even after.…Nailing these remote interviews is a skill you can learn…with some practice, and I do suggest you practice…with another job hunting friend or a trusted mentor.…So first, tech basics.…Make sure your land or cell line is in good working order,…with strong reception…wherever you're going to take the interview.…Coffee shops or co-working spaces aren't ideal for this,…quiet places are.…
Similarly, trial run your computer on Skype or Hangouts,…or whatever the conferencing platform…the interview will take place in.…Don't let a last minute need-to-run plugin error…derail you showing up on time.…And I think it goes without saying,…but make sure you're ready five minutes before,…and willing to wait five to 10 minutes after the start time.…Remember, a lot of times interviewers are running…from place to place, so they may have time variance.…
Looking for study partners?Join the Interview Tips study group
Ready to find your next job? Learn how to prepare yourself for today's job market and land a gig that you'll love. Jolie Miller shows how to create a great job hunting plan that connects you with opportunities that mesh with your interests and goals. Jolie explains how to present yourself to employers in the best light with a well-designed LinkedIn profile, resume, and cover letter. She explores how to tailor your experience for each job and for any special situations, such as layoffs, reentering the workforce, or switching roles or industries. Plus, she shares quick tips that can help you make a great first—and lasting—impression in your interviews, negotiate an offer you're proud of, and prepare for your first day at your new job.
- Setting job hunting objectives
- Writing a compelling resume and cover letter
- Tailoring your approach
- Finding the right jobs
- Reentering the workforce
- Identifying which of your skills are transferable
- Excelling in a phone or video interview
- Negotiating a job offer