- In this movie, I'll explain what percentages are,…and how they're useful for math.…You'll learn a few different methods…for finding percentages of a number.…So the first thing I want you to know…is that, just like decimals and fractions,…percents are parts of a whole.…So, for example, 44% is…the same thing as 44 parts out of 100,…or the same thing as .44.…So percentages are just a different way…of showing how much of the whole we have.…
And for percentages, we think of the whole as 100%.…So it's 44% out of 100%.…So the next skill I wanna show you with percents…is how to take 100% of something,…10% of something, and 1% of something.…So let's say I have the number 876.…Well, 100% of something is all of it.…So the decimal point in 876 would naturally be here.…So to take 100% of it, I would just leave it where it is.…
100% of 876 is 876, really easy.…Now, to take 10% of a number, I take that…decimal point, and I move it one space…to the left and rewrite the number.…So if I rewrote that number,…it would now be 87.6.…
- Practicing mental math
- Understanding decimals and fractions
- Working with percentages and ratios
- Solving equations
- Calculating area and volume
- Scaling recipes
- Estimating your running speed
- Calculating the area for home-improvement projects
- Working with probability
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Math Foundations: Part one
2. Math Foundations: Part Two
3. Math Foundations: Part Three
4. Shopping and Cooking Math
5. Health and Fitness Math
6. Home-Improvement Math
7. Probability and Counting Math
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.