Join Vince Kotchian for an in-depth discussion in this video Order of operations, part of Learning Everyday Math.
- In this movie I'm going to explain…some basic properties of addition, subtraction,…multiplication and division, our basic operations.…So the first thing I want you to know about these things…is that you can do addition and multiplication…in any order if that's the only operation you're doing.…So I'll give you an example.…Let's say you're adding two plus four plus six.…You can add those numbers up and you're gonna get 12,…and you woulda gotten the same exact thing…if you had added them in a different order.…
let's say I wrote it like six plus two plus four.…If I add those numbers up, I am still going to get 12.…So you can write them in any order,…and you're gonna get the same result.…The same thing's true about multiplication.…Let's say I was multiplying two times four times six.…If I multiply those, two times four is eight,…times six is 48, and it's the same exact answer…as if I had written it in a different order.…
Let's say I wrote it like six times four times two.…Six times four is 24, times two is 48.…So for addition and multiplication,…
- Practicing mental math
- Understanding decimals and fractions
- Working with percentages and ratios
- Solving equations
- Calculating area and volume
- Scaling recipes
- Estimating your running speed
- Calculating the area for home-improvement projects
- Working with probability
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Math Foundations: Part one
2. Math Foundations: Part Two
3. Math Foundations: Part Three
4. Shopping and Cooking Math
5. Health and Fitness Math
6. Home-Improvement Math
7. Probability and Counting Math
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.