Join Anil Gupta for an in-depth discussion in this video Optimizing the choice of locations, part of Global Strategy.
- Optimizing the global architecture…for each activity in the value chain…is merely the starting point of making sure…that the company will have competitive advantage…on the global stage.…Given any architecture…corporate leaders must also ensure…that they have picked the best locations…for the execution of the activities.…Countries differ from each other…in terms of cost structures, skill levels,…resource endowments.…
If a company can exploit these differences…better than its competitors, it can create…a sizable advantage for itself.…There are three main criteria…that should guide the choice of locations.…Availability of needed skills,…impact on cost structure,…and risk reduction.…Consider, Microsoft's decision…to establish its second biggest research center in Beijing…in the late 1990's.…
This decision had almost nothing to do…with cost reduction.…Along with the US and India,…China produces more science graduates…than any country in the world.…Thus, Microsoft concluded,…that tapping into some of the most talented graduates…
This course is aimed at helping managers learn how to maximize the benefits while minimizing the costs and risks associated with global expansion. Anil K. Gupta, Michael Dingman Chair in Strategy and Globalization at The University of Maryland's Smith School, and one of the world's leading experts on global strategy, outlines the logic of global strategy and the questions you need to address in order to globalize your company's market presence and leverage global resources.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why go global?
- Prioritizing across the world's markets
- Designing entry strategies
- Frugal innovation
- Leveraging global resources
- Cultivating a global mindset