- In this movie, I'm gonna show you how…to do simple operations using fractions.…In other words, how to add, subtract,…multiply, and divide fractions.…So let's say we need to either add or subtract fractions.…It works the same way.…The easiest way or situation you'll find…in which you have to add fractions…are encountering fractions with the same denominator.…So let's say we had 1/5 + 2/5.…We notice that both fractions have a five as a denominator,…so that makes our life a lot easier.…
We're gonna keep the denominator as five when we add them…and just go straight across and add the numerators.…1 + 2 = 3.…Likewise, we could do the same thing subtracting fractions.…Let's say we had…4/5 - 2/5.…Again, the denominator's the same,…so we're gonna leave it as five.…And do 4 - 2 = 2.…So that's the easy way.…Now, it's a little bit harder…if we have different denominators…and we have to add or subtract.…
So let's say we have 1/3 + 1/4.…Unfortunately, we can't just go straight across anymore.…What we have to do, is make sure we have…
- Practicing mental math
- Understanding decimals and fractions
- Working with percentages and ratios
- Solving equations
- Calculating area and volume
- Scaling recipes
- Estimating your running speed
- Calculating the area for home-improvement projects
- Working with probability
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Math Foundations: Part one
2. Math Foundations: Part Two
3. Math Foundations: Part Three
4. Shopping and Cooking Math
5. Health and Fitness Math
6. Home-Improvement Math
7. Probability and Counting Math
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.