Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Observing performance trends over time, part of Performance Review Foundations.
…The number one reason performance reviews are often so difficult for…managers, is because they think of the review as a one-time event.…That's a major problem.…That belief reinforces your desire to not think about…the review process unless it's formally time to do so.…In contrast, the most successful managers are pro-active and…find their own way to continuously monitor each team member.…This is a great hedge against the many cognitive biases that have been identified…that pose a challenge to clear and…accurate thought, when it's time to evaluate someone.…
Here are a few of the most dangerous that you'll want to be aware of.…The first is simply poor memory.…To be blunt, human memory is terrible.…The more busy we are and the more successful we are,…the more bits of data there are floating around in our brains.…We try to organize it, but recalling…things becomes difficult rapidly as time moves on.…Next there are a few very specific types…of memory biases that hurt our recall ability.…The most common are primacy and recency effects.…
- Describe why performance reviews are important.
- Explain why a manager might use informal feedback.
- Recognize when it’s important to have a witness present during an evaluation.
- Cite the benefits of performance improvement plans.
- Identify the primary goal of managing performance throughout the year.
- Describe when it’s time to discuss possible role changes for an employee.
- Explain the 360 review process.
- Cite ways to set expectations for a performance review meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Employee Performance Problems (2013)with Todd Dewett1h 53m Intermediate
1. Overview of Performance Management
2. Setting Goals with Employees
3. Gathering Feedback on Performance
4. Writing the Review
5. Delivering the Review
6. Taking Next Steps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.