Join Tony Schwartz for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Tony Schwartz on Managing Your Energy for Sustainable High Performance.
- So, I've just shared with you what I hope is a new way of thinking about how to manage your life. I've talked about four sources of energy, four reservoirs of energy that are critical to you if you're going to fully realize your own potential. Physical, emotional, mental, spiritual. The quantity of your energy, the quality of your energy, the focus of energy, and the purpose to which you put your energy. And in every case, the starting place is about awareness.
It's starting to recognize what's going on inside you, how it feels. And the second piece is really to take action with a very specific strategy. I've referred to it as a ritual. We are creatures of habit, we know that New Year's resolutions don't work very well. What works is to define a new behavior, to insert it into your life at a very specific time with a very specific set of actions that you're going to take, that you then begin to practice for a relatively limited period of time until those activities become automatic and you begin to get the positive results from them that serve as fuel for their continuing.
A ritual is a highly specific behavior that you do over and over until it becomes automatic. So, what one behavior could you do a little experiment with for the next two weeks? So, in other words, I'm asking you to build one new behavior into your life to see what happens when you begin to take more control of what's going on inside you, when you begin to stand outside your experience and influence what's going on inside of you.
This is just the beginning. I've given you just a brief introduction to a rich array of resources and strategies that we employ. If you'd like to know more about The Energy Project, please go to our website which theenergyproject.com. Thank you very much for spending this time with me, and I hope it's opened a window into the possible for you.
And if you want to make this really stick, define your ritual right now.
In this course, thought leader Tony Schwartz shares his tested and unique framework for fueling productivity through energy management. He explains how to tap into your potential by regularly renewing your four core energy needs: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. By learning how to more skillfully manage each dimension of energy, you can bolster your own productivity, and enhance your success as a manager by tapping into the true potential of your employees.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Learning about energy management
- Managing your physical energy to improve work performance
- Avoiding the survival zone emotionally
- Taking more control of your attention
- Finding a balance between taking care of others and taking care of yourself