Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Setting Team and Employee Goals.
- As you go to apply this goal setting process,…there are some pretty clear next steps…that you should follow.…First, make sure your goals are S.M.A.R.T.…Review them and see if they're specific,…measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound.…If they're not, rewrite them until they are.…Make linkages from your strategy…all the way down to the actions your team should perform.…Individual behaviors should be translated into goals,…which then link to broader organizational goals,…which tie to the strategy.…
For more information on the strategic planning process,…check out my course, Strategic Planning Fundamentals.…Tie incentives to specific goals,…and communicate those goals and incentives…broadly across the organization.…For each goal, set a commit and a stretch.…Let people know how incentives will be sloped…between those two goals.…Set a measurement timeline and metrics for each goal.…
Define what you're measuring, the reporting methodology,…the frequency of measurement,…and write out the contingency plans…you'll put in place if a goal is falling short.…
Along with providing guidance on how to link individual employee goals to organizational strategy, Mike walks you through the different types of goals, including bottom-up, zero-based, commit, and stretch goals. He also helps you use goals to change behaviors, build new skills among employees, and make goals actionable by using incentives and tying them to specific activities. He concludes with a comprehensive plan for setting and implementing goals, and some tips on dealing with challenges such as conflicting goals.
- Identifying goals and goal types
- Setting SMART goals
- Linking goals to business strategy
- Building goals from the bottom up or top down
- Creating stretch goals
- Outlining activities and resources to help employees achieve goals
- Reviewing and revising goals
- Reconciling conflicting goals