…Leadership is a lot of work, and most…people think it's all directed at their team.…But you now know that you also have to…spend time managing your boss in addition to the team.…You have to learn to manage up.…Having said that, as we close out this course, let me put this in perspective.…The better your boss is at being a leader,…the less you'll need to think about managing up.…Good leaders are naturally inclined to keep…you and your needs clearly on their radar.…You'll still find times when you wish to be a little more proactive.…
But the burden is small when you're working for a highly competent leader.…Okay, we've covered a lot of ground so let me help you actually get started.…Start right now by planning your very first unscheduled…check-in that you're going to initiate with your boss.…Choose one update to give them, one longer term issue to bring up…and discuss, and one question you want to ask about a third topic.…Be concise.…Take a few notes, and when you're done, remember to thank them for their time.…
- Explore how self-reflection is a starting point for understanding others.
- Review they ways that social capital (credibility) relate to performance, recognition, and helping others.
- Recall different kinds of communication channels you can establish with your manager.
- Identify the most effective ways to promote your accomplishments.
- Review methods for documenting issues that help you communicate up.
- Explore key strategies for working with a remote manager.
- Examine ways to repair a damaged relationship with your manager.