You need a plan in order to succeed at office politics. In this video, Dorie breaks down the process of creating a campaign calendar, which enables you to determine which steps to take at what time, so as to move your career and relationships forward.
- It's time to put it all together.…Just as political campaigns work backwards…from election day and figure out…what they need to accomplish,…you need to create a campaign calendar…to help you succeed professionally.…You can download the exercise file…to help you do it.…Here's how to dive in.…You can't meet your goals if you don't know what they are.…Start by pre-writing your resume…to envision where you want to be in five years,…three years, or one year.…Get clear on any skills you need…to learn in the interim.…How long will it take to master them?…Do you need an official degree,…or can you learn it on your own?…Literally write it into your calendar.…
When are you going to do this?…Skills are a starting point,…but on their own, they're not enough.…You also need allies to help you along the way.…Right down a list of names of specific people…who are essential to helping you achieve your goals.…Maybe the decision for your next promotion…doesn't just lie with your boss,…it may be a committee.…If so, you'll need to build relationships…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Building social proof and goodwill
- Exhibiting authenticity
- Defining your workplace goals
- Identifying key decision makers
- Strengthening relationships
- Identifying company values
- Connecting your colleagues