Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video More no-brainer calculations, part of Operations Management Foundations.
- When you walk into a waiting line system,…as a customer, what are the things you consider?…First, you probably look at the number…of people in the line.…If the line looks too long, you might…just leave before you even join the line.…Once you're in line, then you want to know…how long will I be in this line.…How can a company calculate…how many people might be in line,…and how long those people…will have to wait in line.…Well, complex systems require complex formulas,…but let's consider a simple system.…
One line, first come first serve, one worker,…and once a customer joins the line…they do not leave.…How do we calculate average number…of customers in the line,…and average amount of time a customer waits in line.…Before we begin, let's first recap…our two basic inputs.…
If we know those two things,…we have the key ingredients for our formulas.…Let's first see on average how many…customers will be in the line.…Here's our formula, sort of long,…but it's made up only of Arrival and Service Rates.…If 6 customers arrive per hour…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.