LinkedIn principal author Doug Winnie describes how to monitor the progress of your build phase using a burndown model. A burndown model maps two main things: How much work or effort has gone into the project, and how much of the user stories and work items are complete for the release. Using these pieces of data, you can take the estimate and actual values and map them to see how they change.
- As your team is building out the features…and user stories for your product,…along the way, there are some key pieces of data…you should collect from the developers…on a regular basis.…I want to show you how to use that data…in a burn down chart to monitor their progress.…The burn down is a key way for you to monitor…the amount of effort put into building the product,…and the amount of work remaining in the sprint or release.…The first thing you need to know is how much time…has been put into building the user stories…and work items of the product.…
The second is how complete the feature is…based on the work that has been done so far.…So, for example, if I have a developer…that has three user stories assigned,…on a specific day, I would hear that…they put in six hours of work.…Their first story is about 50% complete,…the second is 10%, and the third hasn't been started yet.…Using this information, you can begin…to build a burn down chart to visualize their progress.…A burn down chart has two sets of lines.…
The first maps the percentage of features completed.…
- Types of products and industries
- Leading through influence
- Understanding your team
- Using an agile or waterfall development cycle
- Managing your product life cycle
- Researching your market, customers, and ideas
- Planning the product
- Building the product
- Releasing the product
- Refining the product
- Understanding when it's time to retire the product
Skill Level Beginner
1. What is Product Management?
2. What Does a Product Manager Do?
When it is time to retire2m 58s
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.