Join Anson Alexander for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing typing habits and preferences, part of Learning Typing (2014).
- As you learn how to type correctly…the movements required by your fingers…will become easier and more natural.…Just like leg and arm muscles when playing a sport.…Your finger muscles need time to adjust…to a new activity like typing.…When first learning to type probably…don't worry about speed, that will come with time.…Focus on accuracy and as your fingers…become more limber, speed will increase.…It's very important to make sure…that you're not developing any bad habits…as you learn how to type.…
This will only hurt you in the long run.…As it's more difficult to correct a bad habit…than it is to avoid one right from the start.…If you've been typing inefficiently for a long time…you've probably already developed some bad habits.…In order to correct those bad habits…and increase you efficiency, you'll need to start…being more aware and conscious of the letters…you're typing and which fingers you're using…to type those letters.…In the beginning, your typing speed may even decrease…because you'll no longer be using your already…
- Summarize the most effective posture to utilize during typing.
- Identify the advantages of the DVORAK keyboard layout.
- Explain where your hands should rest on the keyboard.
- Summarize the process for effectively typing capital letters.
- Recall which finger should be used to press the function, control, option, and command keys.
- Identify the hand position used when typing using the numeric keypad.