Join John Ullmen for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing the intent-impact gap, part of Communication Fundamentals.
- Communicating is not like driving…on a quiet, familiar one way street.…Guaranteed that, if you keep the steering wheel straight,…you'll get exactly where you want to be.…Achieving your intended impact.…In the real world, communicating is more like…navigating an unfamiliar zig-zagging backroad,…with surprising bumps and detours and someone…else often steers.…Under these conditions, it's much harder to…get where you want to go.…Achieving the impact you intend.…When we interact with others, whether interpersonal…communication or formal presentations, intent is what we…hope they'll think, feel, and do.…
Impact is what they actually think, feel, and do.…Here is a challenge, we tend to judge ourselves by…our intent but others judge us by our impact.…So for strong communication in any situation,…with any counterpart or audience, we have to remember…that intent isn't impact.…And between our intent and their impact,…are dozens of off-roads.…Misinterpretations, misunderstandings, and…mistaken assumptions.…Everyone has various biases, preconceptions,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Managing the intent-impact gap
- Designing the content of your message
- Improving vocal delivery
- Adjusting your body language
- Being politically savvy
- Listening to what's said, what's unsaid, and how it's said
- Increasing empathy and trust
- Overcoming anxiety<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.