- Identify your role on a technical team.
- Determine the right issues to focus on.
- Identify your team's strengths.
- Evaluate your team's performance.
- Discover how to become a better manager.
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, I'm Bob McGannon, and this is Managing Technical Teams. This course provides hints and tips for managing the varying business objectives that could come your way as a technical manager, in addition to helping you with common approaches and pitfalls when managing technical personnel. We'll start by defining the characteristics of a technical team, and then describe what you can do to successfully fulfill the role of technical team manager. I'll give you hints and tips about how you should spend your time, and how you can manage the time of your technical team.
We'll talk about the importance of deploying standards, and also when standards should be flexible. I will then describe approaches you can use to balance the needs of your customers, even when those needs aren't always in sync. Next, I will describe how you can best support your team and identify the strengths of your team members. Lastly, we'll explore ways you can evaluate your own management style, develop your own competencies in both the technical and managerial areas.
I'll introduce you to these tools and techniques in Managing Technical Teams.