Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Communicating across borders
- Bridging time zones and language gaps
- Finding and nurturing management "champions"
- Evaluating your communication style
- Keeping international projects on track
Skill Level Beginner
- Hi, I'm Bob McGannon, and this is Managing International Projects. This course provides hints and tips for tackling the complex world of managing a project using international team members and whose product will be deployed in multiple countries. We'll explore the various challenges that come with international projects, and I will share some common principles you can use to plan and deliver these complex projects. We'll start by defining the characteristics of international projects and how to implement an approach that helps you monitor your project across borders but also distributes leadership.
This can help you attain buy-in for what you're trying to accomplish and help streamline decision making. Next, I will describe how you need to alter your project management habits to accommodate the needs of team members in an international project. This will include dealing with time zone differences and selecting the best tools to use when you have contributions being made from multiple countries. We'll then look at various traps that can occur as you perform ongoing management of your international project.
Lastly, I will share ways you can keep your international project running smoothly by consistently evaluating your communication style, recognizing the early warning signs of project trouble, and if things degrade, how you can recover your international project. Establishing and managing an international project correctly is hard work, but deploying the right planning and control techniques can give you an edge when managing these exciting projects.
I'll introduce you to these planning and control techniques in Managing International Projects.