In this video, Don Phin discusses what you need to know to about the access to and management of personnel files—as well as key points for a well-managed process for doing so.
- Most managers put little thought into maintaining…employee personnel records until they need them,…like when a wage an hour or sexual harassment claim…has been filed.…While many employee records or online today,…and as a result, neatly organized,…many companies still have their employment documents…jammed in a folder in a file cabinet…probably located in human resources,…where they lock their door.…Whether they are online or in print,…managers should only be able to access…the documents they need to.…
For example, there is no reason for a manager…to be able to access an employee's personnel file…that they're not managing.…A best practice recommendation…is to have a checklist document…either online or inside of the file folder…to make sure all the documents are contained within it,…such as a signed W2,…signed employee handbook acknowledgement,…acknowledgement of your sexual harassment policy,…immigration documents, and so on.…If a document is removed, it must be signed out.…
There is no federal law governing employee access…
DISCLAIMER: This course addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) and the instructor are not giving legal advice. Neither Linkedin (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represent you. The information conveyed through this course is similar to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views and legal interpretations presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- How job descriptions matter when it comes to the law
- Offer letters, contracts, and agreements
- Questions you can't ask job applicants
- Test and assessment instruments
- Managing employee leave
- Harassment and discrimination laws
- Handling bullies in the workplace
- Employee discipline