The majority of a consulting business' costs come from labor and support functions. Expenses like salaries, commissions, and license fees are major costs. Minor costs like travel, equipment, materials, and professional services like legal, finance, IT, and HR can add up quickly and have a big impact on your profitability.
- The majority of a consulting firm's costs…are labor and support functions.…Expenses like salaries, commissions, and license fees…are major costs.…Do some benchmarking on salaries…for the level and skill of people you need.…Decide if you're going to pay at, above,…or below market rates.…Don't forget to include the costs of benefits, vacation,…and equipment for your team.…Talk with other consultants about…commission models they use.…There's no shortage of innovative ways to compensate people.…
Just be sure the behavior you're paying people for…is the behavior you want.…If you give people a smaller commission…for generating a lead…versus a large commission for closing a sale,…you might find yourself with a lot of low-value leads…because that's an easier way for your people to make money,…rather than doing all the work of closing a complex sale.…Think through your compensation model…really hard before you launch it.…License fees for things like software packages…or third-party content can be steep.…
You'll need to either mark that cost up…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify types of consulting business models.
- Describe revenue models.
- Explain how to estimate and manage costs.
- Price services using pricing strategies.
- Explain how to negotiate deals with clients.
- List effects of responding to RFPs.
- Identify the phases of constructing a consulting engagement.
- Present findings and implement recommendations.
- Describe different ways to manage legal issues.
Skill Level Beginner
Understanding Intellectual Propertywith Dana Robinson1h 31m Appropriate for all
1. Define Your Consulting Business
2. Marketing and Selling
3. Contract and Protect Yourself
4. Run the Consulting Engagement
5. Handle Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.