Running your own consulting firm requires you to deal with many legal issues. You need to establish your firm as a legal entity, conduct contracting activities, and protect your organization from damaging legal issues. You may also deal with legal disputes like contract violations, infringement actions, and confidentiality breaches. Knowing these possible issues and preparing for them before they happen can keep you out of trouble.
- Running a consulting firm means you have…to deal with legal issues.…You'll need to establish your firm…as a legal entity,…conduct contracting activities,…manage employment and contractor agreements,…and protect your intellectual property.…I highly encourage you to engage competent legal counsel…for these issues.…Your clients will insist you're legally able…to do business in their locale.…Every country, state, or locality has different rules…and requirements for setting up your business…as an entity.…
You'll need to create multiple documents,…like an operating agreement, a company charter,…and employment agreements.…Once you have those documents,…you'll need to make governmental…and tax agency fillings to legally be in business.…When first starting out as a consultant,…you'll want to have a standard services agreement.…That document will cover the terms…of your relationship with your clients…and also spell out the work you'll do…and the fees you'll charge.…Many clients will insist you use their standard contract.…
- Working as a consultant
- Generating revenue as a consultant
- Cost structures, pricing, finances, and taxes
- Marketing and selling consulting services
- Negotiating and contracting
- Working with clients
- Presenting findings to clients
- Implementing recommendations
- Managing legal issues
- Insuring a business
- Getting licensed and certified
Skill Level Beginner
Understanding Intellectual Propertywith Dana Robinson1h 31m Appropriate for all
1. Define Your Consulting Business
2. Marketing and Selling
3. Contract and Protect Yourself
4. Run the Consulting Engagement
5. Handle Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.