Discover the seven elements of a great job hunting plan. See how your personal board of directors, networking groups, and even outdated online career profiles can play a part in helping you find your next gig.
- I created a handy plan to help you get started…with your job search.…It's available in the exercise files.…There are seven areas of the plan:…objective, job hunting materials, network,…job hunting accounts, social accounts,…dream companies, and job tracking.…You can fill this out and keep it with you…in case someone calls about a job…that you've applied for while you're on the go,…and it can serve as your daily to-do list.…Starting at the top, you're going to use your objective…as the north star for your job search.…
Remember, this is one tight sentence…on what you're looking for.…Next, it's time to take a look…at the state of your job hunting materials.…Go ahead and find your resume,…cover letter templates, and letters of recommendation,…and then be honest with yourself about the state of each.…Chances are they're going to need some adjustments…for each application.…Document the top three priorities…related to these materials and their due dates.…Also, jot down the time you want to spend per week on this,…just to give yourself a rough framework…
Looking for study partners?Join the Interview Tips study group
Ready to find your next job? Learn how to prepare yourself for today's job market and land a gig that you'll love. Jolie Miller shows how to create a great job hunting plan that connects you with opportunities that mesh with your interests and goals. Jolie explains how to present yourself to employers in the best light with a well-designed LinkedIn profile, resume, and cover letter. She explores how to tailor your experience for each job and for any special situations, such as layoffs, reentering the workforce, or switching roles or industries. Plus, she shares quick tips that can help you make a great first—and lasting—impression in your interviews, negotiate an offer you're proud of, and prepare for your first day at your new job.
- Setting job hunting objectives
- Writing a compelling resume and cover letter
- Tailoring your approach
- Finding the right jobs
- Reentering the workforce
- Identifying which of your skills are transferable
- Excelling in a phone or video interview
- Negotiating a job offer