…You know, sometimes we want to do something positive but…then things go wrong and we create an unintended negative outcome.…Making promises is one great example.…You want to do the right thing, you want to help the boss.…You want to say yes and you believe you can deliver.…So, you promise.…The boss tells you that the client really wants the report by Friday.…Or maybe he tells you that you can't work any overtime until the end of the month.…You understand where he's coming from and you want…to do the right thing, so you say no problem.…
I can make that happen.…Well, that's a promise.…The only thing worse is actually using the phrase, I promise.…Here's how making promises can be a problem.…First, when you break a promise, you're breaking your word, and…that can have a surprisingly big effect on how others view you.…Making a promise is easy.…Breaking a promise and making up for it is much harder.…Next, people on average are not great at…estimating their odds of success on a given task.…
We typically under estimate how much time it will take, and how likely…
- Explore how self-reflection is a starting point for understanding others.
- Review they ways that social capital (credibility) relate to performance, recognition, and helping others.
- Recall different kinds of communication channels you can establish with your manager.
- Identify the most effective ways to promote your accomplishments.
- Review methods for documenting issues that help you communicate up.
- Explore key strategies for working with a remote manager.
- Examine ways to repair a damaged relationship with your manager.