Join Jonah Berger for an in-depth discussion in this video Making the private public, part of Jonah Berger on Viral Marketing.
…As we talked about, getting things to catch…on isn't just about getting more word of mouth.…It's also about harnessing the power of social influence.…And making it easier to imitate others, and…see that other people like your products or ideas.…So how can you do that?…Well, one big way is to make the private public.…Make it easier for people to see what other people are doing.…A simple way to do that is logos.…So if you think about the Polo logo, for example,…used to be pretty small, now it's much larger.…We actually went and measured.…
It's 18 times larger than it used to be.…Lacoste, the alligator, not to be outdone in…the drive for logo supremacy is similarly large.…It looks like its almost going to bite off the arm of anyone wearing a Lacoste polo.…But many people don't like large logos.…And as many women who wear red bottom shoes know, sometimes…a large logo isn't something that people want to communicate about themselves.…So how else can you make the private public?…Well good news, there are lots of other ways.…
- Summarize the advantages of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Identify the six STEPPS to getting people to share.
- Explain the effects of a trigger.
- Describe the function of social proof.
- Recall the most effective strategies for spreading a marketing message.
- Recognize two components in a story meant to help spread a business message.