Join Jonah Berger for an in-depth discussion in this video Making people feel like insiders, part of Jonah Berger on Viral Marketing.
…One way to get social currency is to make people feel like insiders.…That hidden bar, Please Don't Tell, did a great job of this.…They made people feel smart and in-the-know by…having access to information that not everyone else did.…Knowing about a hidden bar?…That makes you look pretty cool, and so you're going to…tell your friends and colleagues because it makes you look good.…In fact, while most of you haven't been there, I bet that some…of you are going to pass that information on even without having seen the place.…So how can you make people feel like insiders?…Are there other ways to do it?…Well LinkedIn has done a great job of this as well.…
They sent out an email a few years ago that said…you have one of the most viewed profiles on the site.…One of the top 5% or 10% of all people on the website.…Now, people who got that email felt pretty good.…Wow, I'm one of the top 5 or 10%. That gives me a lot of status.…I get a little pat on the back.…But they didn't just feel good. Tens of thousands of people…
- Summarize the advantages of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Identify the six STEPPS to getting people to share.
- Explain the effects of a trigger.
- Describe the function of social proof.
- Recall the most effective strategies for spreading a marketing message.
- Recognize two components in a story meant to help spread a business message.