Join Simon T. Bailey for an in-depth discussion in this video Making a first impression, part of Building Business Relationships.
- View Offline
When I joined a Fortune 500 company, I was fortunate enough to be…invited along with a select group of…individuals to have breakfast with the president.…I arrived early on the day of the meeting, and I…found that I was seated way in the back of the room.…So what do you think I did?…I switched it so that I could sit at the…front, right next to the most powerful man in the company.…Well, when the event started I had a burning question to ask him.…He turned to me and asked how things were going.…
I said, awesome.…I then asked him, what do I have to do to get ahead here at the company?…He said, you need to know who you are and why you are here.…When he said it, quite honestly it went right over my head.…However,…I nodded and gave him the screensaver face as if I really understood what he meant.…Needless to say this was probably not the best first impression.…
Many years later I ran into him and he reminded me of our first meeting.…Creating a memorable first impression is vital to building business relationships.…
Discover how you can build meaningful rapport, set yourself up for visibility and success, manage up when you don't click, develop executive presence, and cross-train within a team to better serve the organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the four key business relationships
- Building relationships in person and virtually
- Supporting your manager's objectives
- Articulating your needs to your manager
- Managing up
- Communicating with difficult team members
- Resolving cross-department conflict
- Identifying mentors and sponsors
- Making first impressions with executives<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.