Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Making the call, part of Executive Decision Making.
- At some point with an executive decision,…you're going to have to make the call.…Some principles you should think about as you're…doing so are, first, be clear about the call being made.…Tell people exactly what the decision is.…Document that decision, so you have something to…true back to. Remember, executive decisions can take…a long time to make and see what happens.…You'll want a document to be able to go back to…and say, here's the decision we made,…and here was the underlying rationale.…
Layout that rationale including the assumptions you made,…the facts you were using to make the decision,…and the sources of the information.…When things change, you can then go back to that document…and perhaps find root errors in the data you had,…understand how the market has changed from when you…originally made the decision, or you can find…new opportunities to make a better decision.…Business cases and "board decks" are good documentation…vehicles for laying out the call that you've made.…
When making the call, do so in writing and disseminate it…
Mike helps you find the data and tools to support your decision, make the call, communicate decisions effectively, and lead your organization through the change. He'll also address common problems that arise from these high-profile decisions: cultural differences, quality of information, trust, and accountability, to name a few.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explore methods for communicating more effectively.
- Review decision-making styles to find the best one for you.
- Recognize the right time to declare success.
- Recall how an understanding of inherent biases can help you get the right data.
- Review methods for building trust.
- Explore how to make the right call while assessing risks.