The problem that email doesn't tell you if someone hasn't replied. We need a reminder system for this. Read receipt is not the answer - and it's rude! The DTR system - Did They Reply. Using outlook rules to set up a monitoring system. It has to be very quick to do or you won't ever use it. Use for important emails where the person you are sending to is unreliable.
- I don't like it when I get emails…with a read receipt on them.…For some reason it annoys me to know…that someone's checking up on me.…It feels like nagging, have you read my email yet?…In fact, I've set my email so that…it won't tell you whether I have read it.…There's a setting you can change on yours too.…And if you think about it, there's not really…any benefit in knowing that they've read it.…It's the reply that you need.…If they read it and don't reply, you won't know.…
So there's a key defect in the whole setup of email…which is that if someone doesn't reply, you won't know.…It'll send you a read receipt if the other person reads it,…maybe, depending on their settings as we've just seen.…But it won't notify you if they don't read it.…And it certainly won't notify you if they don't reply.…In fact, what you really want is a system which,…after five days, reminds you by saying,…Tony still hasn't replied to that email, you know.…
So putting read receipts on emails isn't the answer,…and I think they're a bit rude as well.…
The most efficient people use technology and established systems of organization to manage their tasks and maximize their time. This course shows how to put these time management techniques to work for you.
- Managing your inbox
- Managing repetitive tasks
- Using lists and calendars
- Maximizing spare time
- Organizing information digitally and on paper
- Getting the most out of technology and software
- Writing effective email
- Reducing filing