Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Make sure everyone at a startup gets paid, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- I'm going to assume that you have come up with the funding…for a game, and you've formed your company.…Let's say that you founded this company with two people,…you and someone else.…So you're really, really small,…you're going to start making a game,…and you need to start bringing people on.…Typically when I go out and raise money to do a game,…and a lot of times I do that, I will form a company…around a game and that just protects the whole enterprise.…So if it all goes bad, we can get rid of that company,…but it doesn't take down all the other…great games that you've made.…
So it's good to isolate the ones…that have entities that you don't know,…that you don't know really, really well.…So we'll say that you get the funding,…and now you're ready to start the game.…Usually when I build into this milestone schedule,…the funding schedule, I keep at least a month…to begin hiring up the team.…I don't really want to do a lot of work…on the game so much, other than design…during that first month, because…I need to start bringing people in.…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.