Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Make original IP while operating as a work for hire, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- So a lot of companies get on what's called a treadmill,…which is basically your company is paid by another company…to develop something for them…that they then fully own.…Even if it is an original IP,…because they're funding you,…they own it.…So even if it is an original one that you're making.…So you're still not creating value…other than the people in your company are learning more,…they're getting better at what they do,…but the company itself is not becoming more valuable.…So there are lots of companies out there…whose sole purpose has been to just do…work-for-hire treadmill contracts just to keep the lights on…because they just like making games, you know.…
And they didn't think about the bigger picture of…"I really want to just make what I want.…"And I want to run this however I want to do it.…"And I don't want to be answering to anybody else."…Which is what original IP lets you do.…So the way that you get from treadmill…to doing original is make sure that…while you're doing those work-for-hire contracts…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.