Think about what you'll wear for your next presentation. Learn how you dress can impact your credibility.
- A colleague told me this weird story…about a speaker he hired to deliver a keynote address.…The speaker showed up at the event wearing a spacesuit.…Now, the speaker wasn't an astronaut,…and his speech had nothing to do with space travel.…The audience was so distracted by this wardrobe choice…they couldn't hear anything the speaker had to say.…And my colleague, he was mortified.…He had hired a speaker that made him look, well,…less than credible and competent.…The spacesuit story underscores an important point.…
We don't like to admit it,…but we judge people based on nothing more…than their wardrobe choices.…To establish credibility with your audience,…you need to look the part of the expert that you are.…But how, exactly, do you do this?…For a business audience consider dressing…the way your audience dresses or one level up.…For example, if you're presenting at a conference…where your audience is wearing business casual,…this means that you, too, can wear business casual,…or you can even go one up and dress business formal.…
- Explain the benefits of making eye contact.
- Identify how to earn credibility with your audience.
- List ways to introduce yourself to an audience.
- Define "reading the room".
- Use body language effectively.
- Describe how to handle difficult audiences.