Learn and rediscover the critical skill of listening to show your customers that you understand their viewpoints, feelings, and emotions.
- Listening sounds a lot easier than it is.…Recently, I was using the LiveChat customer support…from a business that I actually really like.…We were having a good discussion when finally, the guy said,…"Okay, Doug, let me see if this is your problem."…Doug, who's Doug?…I'm Noah.…So I asked him again, "Who's Doug?" and he said,…"I'm sorry, I'm talking to about half a dozen other people…"at the same time, and I used the wrong name."…Bad answer.…Wrong answer.…This is poor customer service because he's…passively listening to me, all the while trying…to multitask and deal with dozens of other customers.…
I was really disappointed with this service provider,…but at least he had the gall to tell me he was speaking…to multiple people at the same time.…Now, you think he wouldn't have made this mistake again,…but just a few moments later, he verified and clarified…something he suspected I had said to him,…but he was again, using comments…from another LiveChat with another customer.…Again, this was a company that I really enjoy working with,…
- Responding to valid and invalid complaints
- Diagnosing a problem before you prescribe a fix
- Disarming and redirecting unhappy customers
- Delivering bad news
- Remaining calm, cool, and collected while dealing with customers