What do you do if use someone else’s work, name or trademark in your work? You will need a licensing agreement. What are the different types of licensing agreements that you may come across as a creative? In this movie, author Seth Polansky explains what several licensing agreements are and how they work.
- The types of license agreements are many and varied.…That's the beauty of the contract as an art form.…Parties are free to negotiate and agree…to whatever terms and conditions they see fit,…while within the bounds of law of course.…Among the important questions to ask when considering…the scope of a license agreement are:…One, exclusivity.…Is the license only for one other party,…or can it be licensed to multiple other people or entities?…Two, market.…Where is the license valid?…Are you going to license to someone in the United States…and someone in the European Union?…Or you could subdivide it into physical stores…in the United States, and e-commerce outlets that sell…to the European Union and Latin America.…
Three, payment terms.…When and how do you expect to get paid?…In my experience, there is more variation in payment terms…in license agreements than in any other type.…Four, termination.…Under what circumstances, or after the expiration…of what time period, does a license end?…In essence, license deals are an art form.…
AuthorSeth C. Polansky
Disclaimer: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Why do you need a contract?
- Types of contracts
- Asking for an NDA
- Work-for-hire and contractor agreements
- Proposals, quotes, and statements of work
- Licensing agreements
- Delivery and payment terms
Skill Level Intermediate
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Contracts
2. Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs)
3. Work-for-Hire and Contractor Agreements
4. Proposals, Quotes, and Statements of Work (SOW)
5. Licensing Agreements
6. The Most Important Parts of Any Contract
7. Additional Resources
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.