Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Lessons learned: id Software, Ion Storm, and Gazillion, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- One of the biggest lessons that I learned…when starting a company that had other founders in it…is it's very important that you know the founders…of your company like really, really well.…If you don't know somebody well,…then you're rolling dice.…You may know people who are great to hang out and party with…and just chill out,…but at work they're completely different…and until you actually work with them…you're not going to know…whether you can handle working with that person or not…and things can completely go downhill.…
And so some of the lessons that I've learned was…with some companies, the founders,…it was a bad idea…to form companies with people I didn't really know.…But it was a great idea to form companies…with people I knew really, really well.…So one of the people that I liked working with…and forming companies with was Tom Hall.…And Tom and I, we knew each other at Softdisk…and we got to be friends…and started making games together.…It was kind of the first thing we did.…
And so while we were working together at the company…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.