One of the most complex challenges for managers and employees alike is leave management. This includes everything from vacations to sick days to family and medical leave, and more. In this video, learn about how to make sure your leave management policies are properly structured.
- Given my 30 years of employment law experience,…I can tell you that leave management…is one of the most complicated aspects…of employment law.…In fact, it is so easy to get lost in it,…employment lawyers refer to it…as the Bermuda Triangle.…The bottom line is, if somebody's not showing up…to work today, then a bunch of company policies…and employment laws will be involved.…Laws related to employee leave,…including attendance problems,…include state-mandated, or municipality-mandated,…sick pay laws, family or medical leave laws…such as the Family and Medical Leave Act,…pregnancy leave laws, military leave laws…like USERRA, disability leave under the ADA,…parental leave for student events,…work comp injury leave, vacation time,…and so much more.…
It is not uncommon for a single leave scenario…to involve numerous laws,…all with different leave requirements.…A lost time work comp injury can involve…work comp laws, the ADA, and the FMLA.…To further complicate matters,…not all employment laws apply to all employers.…
- Recognize the company who had a major impact on the new wave of culture-first employee handbooks.
- Describe the characteristics of “at-will employment.”
- Identify the effect of the Faragher rule.
- Recall how many employees a company must have in order fall under the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Determine a plan of action for a presentation when more than 10% of the employees speak a particular foreign language.