Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Learning from failure, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- One of the biggest failures I'd say…and actually became a big success as well,…but for me a failure that I wouldn't want to repeat…was probably with the Ion Storm.…The problem with Ion,…I had some founders at the very beginning…in that I didn't know…and it ended up not being a good situation.…But not just that part,…the team that I had built,…I built a team out of people…that had never made a game in their life before.…
A whole team.…And that is really hard to build a game…when you don't have anyone on the team…that has ever made anything.…I was giving a lot of modders…their first chance in the industry…and that's really cool to do.…I don't regret giving a lot of people their start,…but it would have been a really smart idea…if I had hired a lot of vets…to be the leads of the different teams…and to staff at least some seniors to build the game.…So it was very difficult to make Daikatana…with people that had never made the game.…
The game was three years in the making.…It was very hard to do,…but to balance that out we had,…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Unity 5: 2D Essential Training (2015)with Jesse Freeman3h 22m Intermediate
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 32s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.