Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Leading by example, part of Business Ethics.
- One of my favorite leadership analogies…involves the characteristics of a fish.…When healthy and thriving, the fish pushes forward,…leading itself through calm or turbulent waters headfirst.…By the same token, when a fish dies,…it rots from the head first,…then the remainder of its body.…As a leader, you are the head of an organization…that is represented in this story as a fish.…When it comes to ethical management,…nothing works better than leading by example.…
You need to set the example,…and push through calm or turbulent ethical waters.…There are fundamental and very visible ways…that you can lead by example…when it comes to ethical behavior.…Here are items I try to focus on every single day.…First, do what you say you'll do.…I've stated that several times in this course.…Actions speak louder than words.…The best crafted ethical framework will crumble…if leaders do not act in tune with its guidance.…
Second, be a good listener.…I rarely see a corporate code of ethics address listening.…That surprises me, as it's a vital way…
Bob also discusses ethics in relationship to specific business scenarios: working with suppliers and vendors, organizational decision making, and doing business internationally. He addresses how to handle business ethics violations and provides a checklist of items for staff to evaluate if something is ethical.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define the purpose and intent of business ethics.
- Describe why particular situations might be considered ethical or unethical.
- Determine how to approach and report unethical behavior.
- Identify how to message ethical policies to your staff.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior by leading by example.
- List options and best practices for escalating problems in your department.