Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Knowing when to say goodbye, part of Managing Employee Performance Problems.
- Everyone agrees, that theoretically, there is a time…that it makes sense to fire someone,…either because of poor fit or poor performance.…But knowing exactly when can be a challenge.…If you let someone go to quickly…without enough real insight,…you could be making the wrong decision,…or making yourself vulnerable to a lawsuit.…If you wait too long, they can do internal damage…through poor work and relationships,…and by hurting your reputation…as the person who hasn't dealt with the problem.…Most of the time, bosses put off…firing employees for too long.…They don't like conflict, and would…rather not deal with the situation.…
Plus, they feel that if they fire the person,…it's almost like admitting that they…made a mistake in hiring them.…Not too mention the fact that if you fire them,…you have to spend lots of time and money…to recruit, select, hire and train a new employee.…Don't avoid this issue.…Let me give you three different ways to start thinking…about the question of when to fire someone.…First thing I want you to do is…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Determining the appropriate intervention
- Defusing charged conversations
- Refocusing slackers
- Getting employees to show up on time
- Redirecting habitual complainers
- Engaging employees that always resist change
- Standing up to bullies
- Encouraging employees that can't handle feedback
- Helping people with personal problems
- Dealing with gossips
- Knowing when to say goodbye to an employee<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.