Tatiana Kolovou teaches you how to adapt your presentation style to the style of the audience. This section focuses on the best approach to take with your presentation and possible ways to address objections, past history, or misconceptions on your topic.
- My husband is a scientist and I have attended … plenty of research presentations with him. … The most painful ones have been delivered by speakers … outside of the particular research field. … It's not that the guest speakers … didn't have interesting material. … The problem is that they didn't consider … the crucial difference of communication style. … If you want to engage your audience, … here are communication style differences to keep in mind. … Forest versus trees. … Does your audience want the big general picture, the forest … or do they like to delve into the details, the trees? … Culturally, some groups like to get into specifics … and be looking into detailed charts … as the speaker is presenting. … Other groups prefer to see the big picture first, … how it ties to the mission of the organization … and they have access to next steps if necessary. … Formal or not? … All companies have their own internal levels of formality. … If you're presenting, you will know your audience …
- Explore how to evaluate your audience's knowledge level.
- Define audience value.
- Recall how a 'forest vs. tree' analogy compares to the audience interview and presentation design.
- Recognize what logical appeal means in a presentation setting.
- Define emotional appeal in a presentation setting.