It's crucial to have a strategic meeting with the key stakeholders of your project. In this meeting, you'll review objectives, deliverables, what role you'll play, and what you'll need from your client. Learn the key phrases to use to harness enthusiasm and ensure accountability down the road.
- Needless complexity is an enthusiasm killer.…You know, you've been in those meetings.…In fact, you may have been the one making the presentation.…We're going to do this big HR project,…so I've made a binder full of metrics, deliverables,…possible challenges, timelines, and blah, blah, blah.…One of the most common consulting kickoff's mistakes…is trying to make your project seem really complex.…You wanna make it seem like your client…has made a great decision in hiring you…and the default is to make the project seem so complicated…and so involved that only you can understand it.…
Stop, (giggling) you can do better.…The kickoff meeting should clearly…outline the project's scope…in terms everyone can understand…and leave everyone feeling excited and confident…about the project and about you.…To do that, there are four things you should include,…in this order.…First, what's the win for the client?…If you are in a room of key stakeholders,…you don't need to spend 90 minutes…outlining every tactical piece of your plan.…
- Determine the best self-positioning statement for you.
- Explain how to establish the value.
- Describe how to hold a kickoff meeting.
- Summarize the importance of a wrap meeting.
- Explain how to navigate changing relationships.
- Recognize the value of an internal referral.