In this video there is an overview of the Kepner-Tregoe systematic problem solving method which exploring finding the cause of a problem by identifying when the problem does and when the problem doesn't happen. This leads to how to generate lots of options and selecting the best option scientifically, using must haves and nice to haves.
- [Instructor] Back in the 1950s, Kepner and Tregoe came up…with the Kepner-Tregoe problem-solving method,…which is still in use today.…It's a very comprehensive and mechanical process…where you analyze the situation,…define the problem and the causes,…sometimes known as root cause analysis,…then you identify and evaluate possible solutions,…select the best one, and then you consider possible risks…with the solution that you've chosen.…It's obviously brilliant and it was originally used by NASA…and I'll come to some of the other parts of it…later in this course, but generally,…I think full-on Kepner-Tregoe is probably a bit over the top…for most smaller problems that you or I might be working on,…like why is my dog chewing my shoes…while I'm out of the house?…But one of the parts of Kepner-Tregoe, which I use so much…that it's actually become a joke in our house,…is when does it happen and when doesn't it happen?…When does the dog chew a shoe and when doesn't she?…If we can work that out, we can find the cause and fix it.…
- Identifying the real problem
- Generating possible solutions
- Boosting your creativity
- Using your intuition and logic
- Selecting the best solution
- Considering implementation