Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Keeping a small gaming startup going, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- To keep your small gaming startup going,…it's really important that everybody is still focused…on making the game.…That the core team that did a great job…on the game is still working on the game.…You may have a game that becomes really popular.…You know, you may have something that is…getting, you know, is generating great revenue,…is becoming really popular, and has now…grown a huge community around it,…or people that need to be paid attention to,…and it's really important that the people who…are on your core team are not pulled off that core team…to handle all of these other duties,…because that's not what they did really well.…
What they did really well was they generated a game.…They made a game.…So, what you need to do is you need to,…at that point, expand.…That's when you know that you need to…hire more people, is when the games are becoming bigger…and you need more people to handle the…response to your games.…Let's say you make insane amounts of money.…You probably need to hire a CFO to handle that.…Somebody who can basically think about…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.