Did you know that recruiting job openings can be susceptible to discrimination claims, and more? In this video, Don Phin discusses how to legally navigate recruiting for open positions.
- Most managers don't think about…the possible legal ramifications…of posting a job opportunity…or recruiting potential employees.…How risky could offering someone a job be?…There are several ways I've seen managers…get companies in hot water by not following the law…or internal procedures set in place.…You may not realize these guidelines exist.…Let's look at a few.…When a company opens a job opportunity to the outside…prior to informing existing employees,…it can generate not only resentment from those employees,…but, also, discrimination type claims.…
Many companies have a policy…about first posting jobs internally.…If you ignore that policy,…it will support a possible discrimination claim.…An employee can argue you didn't follow the company policy…because you knew an older worker, minority worker,…or someone else you didn't want would apply for the job.…This is true with other procedural inconsistencies…that may occur when announcing job openings.…While it may feel constricting to the manager,…it's one reason companies have formalized policies…
DISCLAIMER: This course addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) and the instructor are not giving legal advice. Neither Linkedin (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represent you. The information conveyed through this course is similar to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views and legal interpretations presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- How job descriptions matter when it comes to the law
- Offer letters, contracts, and agreements
- Questions you can't ask job applicants
- Test and assessment instruments
- Managing employee leave
- Harassment and discrimination laws
- Handling bullies in the workplace
- Employee discipline