Tatiana Kolovou introduces a scenario about building an effective presentation for a Fortune 500 company looking to expand internationally. This scenario is referenced throughout the course.
- In this course you're going to be following Katy, a Human Resources manager, as she prepares, designs, and delivers a presentation. Katy works for Kinetico, a top innovator, manufacturer, and installer of alternative energy products and systems worldwide. The company manufactures solar panels, wind turbines, and all sorts of products to advance alternative energy. Kinetico is based in California, but it does business with distributors and suppliers both in Mexico and Canada. The company's strategic plan includes expansion of global reach in the next five years. One of the most strategic locations for expansion is Brazil. Kinetico's Chief Operating Officer stops by the Human Resources office and asks Katy to put together a presentation for the executive team. Let's see what happens. (knocking) - Hi Katy, how are you? No please, please go ahead, sit down. How you doin'? - I'm good, thank you. - Excellent. I'm sure you've already seen the strategic plan that we laid out earlier this month. - Yes, I have. - Great, well we're really looking forward to establishing some more contacts in Brazil and getting our foot into South America. HR did a great job helping us out with our rep training on the Mexico market, and I think it's about time to start the conversation about entering in this new region. You think you could put together a presentation for the execs to kind of tell them what they'll need to consider before thy enter in this new market? - Wow, I'm honored that you would think of me. When would it be? - It would be at this Friday's meeting. I'm thinking 10 to 15 minutes long with a QA. - Hmm, that doesn't give me much time does it? - Well I know, but you are up for that new director's role and presenting in front of the execs is an excellent opportunity to show why you really deserve it. Are you up for it? - Yes. Can I follow up with you if I have any questions? - Absolutely. - Okay great, I guess I'll get started on this right away. - [Man] Sounds good. - Okay, thanks. - We'll be seeing more of Katy throughout this course as she develops her presentation. Follow her progress as you design your own presentation.
- Explore how to evaluate your audience's knowledge level.
- Define audience value.
- Recall how a 'forest vs. tree' analogy compares to the audience interview and presentation design.
- Recognize what logical appeal means in a presentation setting.
- Define emotional appeal in a presentation setting.