Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video International considerations, part of Business Ethics.
- Now more than ever before,…we operate in a global context.…Large, multinational organizations,…the increased use of virtual teams,…and off-shoring services has surfaced challenges…about remaining ethical in a global environment.…Creating an ethical framework for businesses…in an international context…adds a significant level of complexity.…Why?…Different countries have…different operating rules for businesses.…Examples are labor laws,…environmental and safety standards.…
People in different countries often have different concepts…about right and wrong.…Different legislative environments exist,…which means that something that's legal in one country,…may not be in another.…So, the problem of defining an ethical framework…becomes more complex…when you need to consider your overseas colleagues.…Over and above what I've mentioned here,…problems such as language,…cultural norms and values,…as well as different levels of economic development,…can compound your difficulties.…
So, what do you do when you're tasked with developing…
Bob also discusses ethics in relationship to specific business scenarios: working with suppliers and vendors, organizational decision making, and doing business internationally. He addresses how to handle business ethics violations and provides a checklist of items for staff to evaluate if something is ethical.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define the purpose and intent of business ethics.
- Describe why particular situations might be considered ethical or unethical.
- Determine how to approach and report unethical behavior.
- Identify how to message ethical policies to your staff.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior by leading by example.
- List options and best practices for escalating problems in your department.