Learn how making your boss shine moves you up the ladder, and the difference between sucking up and being helpful.
- When you're striving to be promoted,…the first person who comes to mind is your boss.…Even if they aren't the person with the final say,…your boss has the most influence over your promotion…so communicating with your boss is absolutely critical…and there are two key underpinnings…you want to be able to pull through…in every communication you have with your boss.…First and foremost, show your boss you are all in.…You want your boss to see…that you understand your organization's goals…and that you are aligning your work accordingly.…
You want your boss to see you connecting the dots…between strategy and tactics,…that means paying attention to the daily tasks…and the pressing challenges…and also taking a very long view.…So, make sure you talk with your boss about…how your industry is changing and growing…and the ways that you and your department…and your organization can leverage that.…Now, the second thing you want your boss to know…is that you have their back.…
No matter what your position or your level is,…part of your job is to make your boss successful.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List three good reasons to step down from a position.
- Name three behaviors that will help you get promoted.
- Explain how to demonstrate active listening.
- Recall an effective way to demonstrate leadership and promotability when speaking with subordinates.
- Identify a common mistake many people make when communicating with their boss.
- Determine the best way to formally ask for a promotion.