Join Steven Brown for an in-depth discussion in this video Integrating logistics into the supply chain, part of Logistics Foundations.
- What is the difference between logistics…and the supply chain?…Before we can talk about integrating logistics…into the supply chain,…it might be a good idea to quickly define both terms.…If a supply chain is the channel for moving materials…and goods and services…from your supplier to your customer,…and logistics is the process of filling a customer's order,…then I think we can see a clear connection…between these two endeavors,…especially if we consider that today's supply chains…are truly driven by that customer order.…
Nowadays, in fact, many people refer to a supply chain…as a demand-driven supply network,…and that actually is a much better expression.…Goods and services are produced and moved…based upon forecasts or actual demand from customers.…And because our organization has so many suppliers,…supporting so many products and services…sold to so many customers all around the world,…this is actually more of a very complex network…than links in a simple chain.…
It is logistics, the movement, storage,…and distribution of those products and services…
These lessons will help you understand the importance of logistics and help your company prepare for efficient delivery, distribution, and inventory. Plus, get insights on the latest logistics trends.
- Define order fulfillment.
- Describe the significance of logistics.
- Explain outbound and inbound logistics.
- Distinguish among transportation options.
- Explain the Bullwhip Effect.
- Identify types of obstacles to coordination.
- Manage customer requirements.
- Describe how to differentiate your company.