Instead of a reluctant Yes, or a definite No, consider negotiating. Instead of "OK then," or "No, I won't do it," there will be an acceptable price. It's the same in your personal life. For example, on visiting relatives, I can't say No and I don't want to say Yes, but I can negotiate to go in the afternoon, then go shopping and take my laptop. This makes it quite good for me, and better for my wife, too. Negotiating gives you a win-win, unlike saying Yes reluctantly or saying No.
- [Chris] There's a common situation…where you might not realize that negotiation is an option.…In fact, it's a great option.…And that's where you find yourself…wanting to say either yes or no.…Instead of a reluctant yes, or a definite no,…there's always the third option, to negotiate.…And negotiating is better than a reluctant yes…and can also be much better than saying a simple no.…For example, suppose I'm being asked to do a training course…I don't want to do.…
Maybe it's somewhere a long way away,…or somewhere that's not very nice to go to.…Instead of yes, alright then, I'll do it,…or no, I'm not doing it, there's a price…that will make it worth doing,…even if it's a very high price.…So that's what I should do, I should say,…I can do it, and this is the price.…And then it's up to them to say either,…yes, okay, which is great, or no,…which is fine, I didn't really want to do it anyway.…And now it's them, not me that are saying no.…
Similarly, you might have difficult customers…or difficult jobs that you don't charge enough for,…
- Why we avoid negotiating
- When you should think about negotiating
- Planning your negotiation
- Calculating your opening offer
- Leveraging different negotiation tactics
- How to trade
- Determining if you should walk away
Skill Level Beginner
Negotiating Your Leadership Successwith Elizabeth Robillard1h 20m Intermediate
1. Decide to Negotiate
2. Planning Your Negotiation
3. Opening Offers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.