Learn how to determine if you really deserve a promotion, and what conditions—internal and external—would enable you to get promoted.
- Some organizations have strict hierarchies…or promotion requirements.…If you know you need to spend a year in a certain role…or have X number of years with the company…to get that promotion you have to fulfill those requirements…but sometimes promotions are a little fuzzier…and it's up to you to determine if you're promotable.…If you want to self assess…to determine whether or not…the conditions are right for your promotion…download our Promotable Conditions Rubric.…There are a few key areas you'll want to assess.…
Yourself, your boss and the company conditions.…As we look at these few areas I'm going to ask you…to give yourself a score on one to 10 in each area.…First let's look at you.…How are you performing at your current role?…How would your boss or your peers rate you?…Your timelines, your accuracy, your results.…You can look at your last…performance review here for a clue.…Now think about your communication style.…Do you speak and act like a leader?…How would people compare your style…to the people one or two levels above you?…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List three good reasons to step down from a position.
- Name three behaviors that will help you get promoted.
- Explain how to demonstrate active listening.
- Recall an effective way to demonstrate leadership and promotability when speaking with subordinates.
- Identify a common mistake many people make when communicating with their boss.
- Determine the best way to formally ask for a promotion.