Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video Identifying bottlenecks and constraints, part of Operations Management Foundations.
- They say a chain is only as strong…as its weakest link and the same holds…in a world of manufacturing.…If you have an assembly line,…the maximum products the assembly line…could produce in a single hour…would be the number of products…that would run through the slowest work station…on that assembly line.…Instead of looking at an assembly line though,…let's look at a set of interconnected pipes.…Let's say you have a water source on the left.…The water source is connected to a pipe…through which five gallons per minute can flow.…
That pipe is connected to a pipe…through which two gallons per minute can flow.…The two gallon pipe is connected to a pipe…with a throughput of three gallons per minute…and finally, the three gallon pipe…is connected to a pipe with a throughput…of four gallons per minute.…In that system of pipes,…what's the maximum number of gallons of water…that could ever flow out of the pipe on the right?…Remember, a system is only as strong…as its weakest link.…
So, in this case, the pipe with the lowest throughput,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Procurementwith Bob McGannon1h 24m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Qualitywith Bob McGannon1h 22m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.